How an ice bath saved my social life this weekend...



Ever had one of those jam packed weekends and something ridiculous happens...like you think you break your foot? Maybe it's just me (I'm sort of a klutz). At soccer practice, a friend stepped on my foot. If you step hard enough with a cleat, you can definitely do some damage...

Coming home my foot felt like it was on fire. I couldn't walk properly and felt pain when touching the injured area and moving my toes. The first thing I thought... it's broken! Tweeting this out...my friend @drtburkinshaw replied that he would come by my place and take a look at it. It's awesome having great smart doctor friends. After telling him all the plans I had this weekend (yoga, soccer, dancing with my girlfriends)...He told me it is a 60% chance it is broken and the best thing to do was to put it in an ice bath and assess the situation in the morning.

Crazy baby
What is an ice bath you are wondering? Pure torture...
You fill the bottom of a bucket with ice and add cold water. Then the hard part...stick your foot in this ice water for 10 mins. Take out for 10 mins. Then go back into the bucket of ice for 10 mins. This really hurts. However, the results are incredible. Last night I thought my foot was a goner...today, I am walking great and am just about to head out to yoga at www.muddyrootsyoga.com .

For those of you who are active, athletes, or just a klutz like me...next time you have swelling and a bruised area, give yourself an ice bath... it's worth it!! Now I know why so many professional athletes do this...the results are fantastic.

Have you done it before? How were your results?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...