What would you do if you got Cancer?

What a morbid post... I know!
Although we NEVER talk about this, or we don't often consider this situation. Last night I laughed and cried while watching the movie, 50/50. Basically, it was about a 27 year old man who found out he had stage 3 spin cancer and his journey throughout treatment. There was a really long name for his specific type of cancer that I cannot remember.

Being 26 years old, I thought to myself... wow...what would I do if I had cancer?

What would you do?

At any age cancer can surprise you. Cancer does not discriminate. Not only physically, but emotionally and Financially, cancer sucks! (for a lack of a better word).

Personally, I have had many family members affected by cancer.   I remember my Uncle Todd became really sentimental as his cancer progressed. I remember him telling my sister and I how much he cared about us when we went to go visit him. I remember when he was really sick and we went to his house to "say our goodbyes". We didn't know he would pass away early that next morning, but we knew it was close. He wasn't able to talk to us and we had no idea if he understood what we were saying. My sister, my mom, and I shared with him how much we loved him. We sat at the side of his bed and told him what an incredibly person he was. A single tear came from his eyes. I knew he was listening. I could hardly speak. My emotions were running wild. I remember that being one of the hardest things I have done...saying goodbye to someone you love so much. Today, I feel like that moment was a gift. To be able to share with him how he influenced my life in a positive way and share a special memory together I will never forget.

Watching this movie I said, "I hope I have a friend like that if I ever get cancer". Someone to talk to, someone to laugh with and joke around with, and someone who loves you deeply to help care for you in your darkest hours.

While it's great to think long term about your finances and retirement...don't look past TODAY. Enjoy this moment, as my sister would say, "that is my wish for you".

Living in the moment means letting go of the past and not waiting for the future. It means living your life consciously, aware that each moment you breathe is a gift. -- Oprah Winfrey

Source: visual.ly via Maritere on Pinterest
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...